Question: Can you file for emergency custody if the other parent left with the kids?


Attorney MacKenzie Grills’ Answer: Yes, you can file for emergency custody, though you may have problems with getting proper service on the other parent. A private investigator can be used if you cannot locate the individual and do not have a correct address for that person. Additionally, depending on where the other parent relocated to with the children there may be a relocation issue. Under the law, if the move substantially interferes with the custody rights of the other parent the moving party is required to file for relocation and must receive court approval prior to said move. It is important that you meet with an attorney who specializes in these types of situations and who can assist you with moving forward in court.

MacKenzie Grills’ practice focuses primarily on criminal and family law. She has extensive experience in handling a variety of criminal matters. Her experience ranges from summary offenses to serious and complex felony charges. MacKenzie has handled an array of cases from the preliminary hearing all the way to the final disposition, whether the end result is a plea deal, non-jury or jury trial. Notably, she has second chair experience in several homicide trials including a recent death penalty case.  While in law school, MacKenzie interned for DeRiso, DeRiso and Suher, Attorneys at Law as a certified legal intern. She was also involved in several law journals at Duquesne University. She served as the Articles Editor for the Duquesne University Business Law Journal and as the Executive Managing Editor for the Duquesne University Criminal Law Journal. Additionally, she was given the Outstanding Oral Advocate Award for her work in a Mock Appellate Argument.

To contact her, call  (412) 452-9712.